Monday, September 8, 2008

Spanish Fork 5k Race

This past Saturday I ran my second 5k race. The race started at 8am and it was quite cool. There were about 15 people from Caselle also running in the 5k and half marathon. We used it as part of our wellness program.
I was talking to one of the guys before the race and he happened to mention that he finishes the race fast. Josh usually runs a good race and puts up a good time. I felt that if I could stay with him I could also post a good time. I lined up with him and his wife and a few others at the start. We took off. There were some of the walkers lined up at the front. This was not good as we had to run around them and not knock anyone down. I kept sight of Josh and within the first few hundred yards we were in the clear of others. I stuck about 5 feet behind him. He started out at a good pace and I decide I could stick with him. I was feeling it. The race went out 1 1/2 miles and then you turn around and run back to the start/finish. About the half way point I was breathing pretty heavy but kept on going. Josh had got no more than 20 feet ahead and then i closed back in. With less than a mile to go I decided to make a move. My thinking was I knew I did not have closing speed and would stay consistent the rest of the race. Josh said he had great closing speed so i increased my speed and got a good lead on Josh. If he passed me near the end then I would still come in with a great time. The last few hundred yards I kept looking for Josh to pass me so I could cheer him on. I got to the finish and turned around to see Josh coming in behind. We finished about 15 seconds a part. I was excited not cause i beat him but because of my time. I completed the race in 24 minutes and 34 seconds. That was over a minute better than my first race. I asked Josh what happened and he said that when I took off he didn't have the legs to go with me and it deflated him a little. I apologized but he said I ran a great race. I thanked him for pacing me.
Do i sound conceded...No! I am just excited at how well I did and look forward to more races.
They had some great raffle prizes so I stayed around in case I won something. Well I have the White curse and did not win anything. Others from work had to leave so I had their bib's but still nothing. Oh well. It was a great morning.

1 comment:

Shannon @ Lifelong Impressions said...

Yay Jamie!!!! Congrats on doing your personal best! It always helps to have a little incentive to keep doing better.